Diamond Jubilee Celebration (1952-2012)
On September 13, 1920, formal inauguration of The Institution of Engineers (India) took place at Madras and on September 09, 1935 , Royal Charter was granted to The Institution of Engineers (India) by His Majesty George Vth, the King and Emperor of the Great Britain.
The Institution of Engineers (India) is the largest multi-disciplinary engineering professional society, established with a view to promote and advance the science, practice and business of engineering. During its 94 years of existence, it has relentlessly pursued the journey towards engineering advancement for nation–building with active support and blessings of eminent engineers.
The Jamshedpur sub-centre was the first sub-centre to be established in the country on 6th February 1952 by two energetic engineers Mr.S.N.Mitra and Mr.H.P.Bodhenwalla, both from drawing office of Tisco. Mr.Mitra as chairman and Mr.Bodhenwalla as Hon.Secretary steered the affairs of the centre for many years. With meager membership of about 200 corporate members spread over the district of Singhbhum, the Centre used to hold one or two paper meeting a month. Due to non availability of space, the library was housed in a local club. Later the steel company allotted a quarter in Bistupur area and the activities of library increased. The response from the students was encouraging and more books and periodicals were added. Today it is one of the best libraries in the town owned by a professional body. The library with reading room is well maintained and it is in full use by our members.
With the increase in membership and activities, the idea of having its own building was mooted out.
Read More »